Monday, 17 November 2014

Colour Association

Different colours can show different feelings and emotions, a certain colour can demonstrate how you are being perceived. For example I would say red has a few connotations, one is that red shows signs of danger however it can also be used to convey romance and love. Blue is seen as a relaxing colour, it can make people feel comfortable in their surroundings. Many themes of spa's are blue. Colours such as yellow, green and pink can be very bright and for me they depict happiness and a light hearted nature. The colour green is the colour of nature, I would also link it to recycling and making the world more eco-friendly. Colours such as grey and white are quite plain which in my opinion have no attached feelings or meanings because they can be shown as 'dull'.


Here I have arranged some coloured pens into the style of a colour wheel, by doing this I have gained a better understanding of how the colours look when they are put next to each other. For example, colours opposite each other are complimentary and some are contrasting due to their positioning in the colour wheel. 
This is a collage of pictures I took last week when I was walking around Bath, I took pictures of objects ranging from clothes to doors. I have arranged this in the form of the colour wheel. 




Primary Colours are those that are formed by mixing any other colours, some say they are pure colours. Secondary are formed by mixing two or more primary colours together and tertially by mixing two or more secondary colours. 

Tetradic Colour Scheme 
This colour scheme uses four colours arranged into two complementary colour pairs. This scheme is hard to harmonise; if all four colours are use in equal amounts, the scheme may look unbalanced, so you should choose a colour to be dominant or subdue the colours. 

Triadic Colour Scheme 
This colour scheme uses three colours equally spaced around the colour wheel. It offers strong visual contrast while retaining balance, and colours richness. The triadic scheme is not is not as contrasting as the complementary scheme, but it looks more balanced. 


Complementary Color Scheme 
This is made of two colours that are opposite each other on the colour wheel, the complementary scheme is intrinsically high-contrast and draws maximum attention. Using one colour for the background and its complementary colour to highlight important elements, you will get colour dominance combined with sharp colour contrast. 
Analogous Colour Scheme 
Analogous colour are colours that are in close proximity of each to each other on the colour wheel that share similar hue and saturation. The graphic example below shows red and two analogous colours of red violet and red orange. Analogous colours are most often used to achieve proper colour harmony. 

1 comment:

  1. Well thought through, and I see you have made the association with harmony, which we will be looking at next week.

    ReplyDelete