Monday, 3 November 2014


22 digital 42.3%
7 both 13.4%
22 Print 42.3%
1 none 2%

(Percentages rounded to the nearest tenth)

Average political knowledge (1-5) = 2.06

9 people said they access political information weekly (17.3%)
14 people said daily (26.9%)
6 said rarely (11.5%)
21 said never (40.4%)

We asked a demographic of 52 people aged 15-25 some questions about politics. One of the questions we asked was whether they preferred Digital or Print posters. 42.3% of people said Digital and Print, whilst 13.4% of people said both and 1 person (2%) said none. We also asked the same people how much they know about politics (between 1-5). The average answer was 2.06. 44 of the 52 people we asked said they did not support a political party (84.6%). 3 of them said labour (6%), 1 said conservative (2%), 1 said green (2%) and 2 said they supported a party (4%), but did not state a specific one. We also asked them how often they access political information. 9 people said weekly (17.3%), 14 people said daily (26.9%), 6 said rarely (11.5%), 21 said never (40.4%).

When it comes to political posters, according to our questionnaire, people are evenly divided between Digital and Print posters. This shows a huge rise in digital advertising since being introduced. Unsurprisingly, considering the demographic chosen, the average political knowledge score was 2.06 out of 5. This result is extremely low, however due to the lack of compulsory political education this is not surprising. It is also unsurprising that the majority of people we asked don’t support a political party for the same reasoning. This result could also be linked to the age of the people asked (majority not old enough to vote). The majority of people also said they never access political information, again almost certainly related to the demographic.
What did we do?
In this task we had to write a summary statement after looking at the spreadsheet of results from the politics questionnaire, the statements had to be about the facts we found out from the questionnaire, our group chose to write about the answers to a couple of the questions that the public answered, we worked out statistics such as percentages and displayed them in a paragraph. After that we wrote a paragraph of assumptions.


What did I know?
Before doing this I didn't know much about writing summary statements, I find it difficult to work out and record statistics. I also didn't know much about interacting with the public when doing the questionnaire. I have made a couple of spreadsheets before this exercise however I wasn't very familiar with them I was feeling a little apprehensive before hand. 

What did I learn?
I have learnt that doing a questionnaire with the public and with students around college isn't so bad, everyone I asked was willing the answer the questions which was very helpful. I have also learnt a lot more about writing summary statements, I have learnt that I just need to include the facts then I can add in my opinions and assumptions in another paragraph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment